Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Movie Review of "Marley & Me", a Dog Movie

"Marley & Me" is a somewhat touching movie about the "Family Dog". I give it about 3 stars, or a "B", for I found it an ambitious undertaking to develop 4 characters, one of them being a dog, yet cover the entire life span of a modern family dog and also the trials and tribulations of the family. The movie was genuinely filmed on location, which scores big with me, and faithfully captures the time period in which the story takes place. You could swear this 2008 film was made in the 80s, so that's pretty good. There are many intimate moments (adult situations), multiple careers, babies born, and the dog has a tall order and puts in an outstanding performance. Like I said, ambitious for a dog movie. It did a fairly good job with all that, but my guess is that most of the sobbing in the audience came from people who had known a dog in their life and was remembering their dog.

A very outstanding recent dog movie is "Snow Dogs". That one I gave an "A".

The great American classic Dog Movie is "Old Yeller," the standard by which all others are judged.

No comments:

Post a Comment