Saturday, July 25, 2009

The Struggle for Affordable, Accessible Health Care (In The United States), Part III

Augh! I couldn't stand looking at that "Obama Care" witch doctor hate email graphic anymore, so I removed it from this blog entry. If you have to see it, it's easy to find.
*
Comment from a wacko:
Mr Obama will never tell you that of the 45 million uninsured,about 10 million are illegal aliens so can GO HOME, reducing it to 37 million left 45% or maybe about 20 million will have it again in under 4 months from changing jobs and the like, 17 million left Census says 8.3 million make more then $50,000 so can afford it, 8.7 million left 8.7 million is vastly more manageable than 45 Oh, and The Congressional Budget Office puts the number at 31 million not 45 - 47

My reply to wacko comment:
The running theme in anti-health care fanatic belief is: just cut the poor and sick off cold and the entire crisis is over. Which is not true. The industry would just take in more profits and the crisis would continue.
Don't let these people win.

GIVE and TAKE
As I find groups and people committed to this fight for universal health care, I give what I can. It's all I can do to counter the my involuntary contribution to the health care industry lobby taken from me in the form of insurance premiums.

I just gave $25
to Howard Dean http://standwithdrdean.com/ so he and his organization, DFA, Democracy for America, can wage its fight for the PUBLIC OPTION health care package. This is my 3rd $25 donation.
My 1st donation was to citizen lobbyist Nataline Sarkysian https://secure.firedoglake.com/page/contribute/PublicPlan
My 2nd donation was to the Obama For America fund to pass health care reform: http://healthcare.barackobama.com



Crisis: Nearly Five Million Adults Have Lost Insurance Since Sept. '08

Me (on DIGG.com):
I had Hepatitis C and recovered on my own, but did go see a doctor in the meantime to find out what the heck was wrong with me. He said to "drink water and get plenty of rest" and asked if I needed an excuse note for work. Damn useless doctor visit got me permanently banned from Kaiser Permanente.

Reply:
wow... I'm sorry to hear that you got dropped by your insurance, but I am certainly glad to hear you fought off the virus. A very close family friend of ours passed away because of it.

Reply to reply:

Thank you for your reply. I'm very sorry about the deadly case for your close friend. It's a deadly disease for some that barely affects others. Doctor access for all is important because it stops the spread of disease. Simple awareness of what i had was important. Technically I was not "kicked out" of kaiser. Just not allowed to re-enroll like I always did. The Kaiser came with a well-paying summer job with benefits but during the offseason I would go without. Come the next summer, I'd re-enroll. That is, until I visited the doctor that one time.

Comment:

At work we just got our health insurance changed. Again. Every year we bounce from one provider to the next to keep costs down, and every year, we lose some of the benefits as well. This year, we learned that our optical coverage is gone and that we'll pay a juicy deductible for hospital stays, and that our prescription benefit doesn't cover as many drugs, and with higher co-pays. What a racket - doctors charge huge fees (in part to cover their malpractice insurance), insurance companies charge higher premiums to pay the doctors, and who pays? This whole huge profit-motivated system, based on greed, has to end. The insurance companies are no different than the banks.

Comment:

I am 22 years old and have paid into private health insurance for all 6 years that i've been working, i'm currently paying a little under $500 a month for insurance because when my wife and I got pregnant last year, they upped our premiums because my daughter has weak pelvic cartilidge which makes her susceptible to hip displaysia - I support a public option for this reason - I fucking paid that shit my entire (albeit short) career and now they are trying to bump me off because my daughter is AT RISK


Comment:
Folks, get out and do something about this. The insurance industry and Republicans are trying to crush this. Write, call, march...do whatever. This is no time to be complacent because it isn't going to get better.

Image: flickr, change.org

No comments:

Post a Comment