This is for my good friend I went to school with, who said he "left paradise" for Utah (a beautiful place in its own right) because he couldn't stand the politics and the crime. I cited a wonderful folk ballad I play on my radio station called "California's On Fire Again" with a lyric that goes "California's a beautiful mess!" in response.
Here is a picture (not mine! I WISH it was mine!) posted to Flickr. I was lookin for photo people had taken in one of the most amazing, most scenic state parks in California, MontaƱa De Oro, near Morro Bay. This area is full of gorgeous rocks and storied rock formations, including formations geologists call "terranes" (not "terrains"), rocks that have an entirely different story than ones located, oftentimes, just a stone's throw over. To the naked eye, they may have a different color, texture or hardness. Sedimentary rocks get subdivided by "facies" based on composition, including fossil remains. Many facies can belong to a "formation" a major piece of rock that has a common story, like "sedimitary deposits then subducted to deep crust then thrust up again after a major tectonic plate shift."
Geology professors love to joke about finding a facies with fossilized fecies in it. A fecies facies! Imagine that! That's about the time the schist hits the alluvial fan.

No comments:
Post a Comment